What has been just another fun Friday for us has been someone’s anger towards WB Games. Why you ask? Well, a supposed WB Montreal employee laid bare the plans for the next Batman: Arkham game over on Reddit. They also seem to hold some resentment against the company due to the way the whole post is worded. Least of all the post’s title “I really don’t give a damn at this point.” As always before we dive into a rumor, take everything with a grain of salt and be aware of spoilers if this does turn out to be real.
The user, who goes by IamBatmanArkham, details his move from a cancelled Suicide Squad game to another title at WB Games’ behest. That game is Batman: Arkham Insurgency and takes place three years after Batman: Arkham Origins. B:AI (for short) uses the same engine as Arkham Knight and has been in development since 2014. The main characters will of course include Batman, but also Dick Grayson’s Robin who’s been the Caped Crusader’s sidekick for two years. Robin will not be playable for open world exploration. The setting will be an unexplored, coastal area of Gotham that is equal in size to Arkham Knight’s three islands. Although this time you’ll be able to enter most buildings and the Batcave and Wayne Manor will be accessible through fast travel.
The plot involves a mass breakout at Blackgate Penitentiary and Arkham Asylum and several terrorist attacks across the city all performed by Owlman and The Court of Owls. Interestingly enough the two villainous parties are not linked in anyway, at least by comic standards. The Court of Owls is a relatively new and secretive society in Gotham who kidnap children to make them into highly trained assassins (Talons). Owlman on the other hand is either an evil Batman from another dimension or a former colleague of Bruce Wayne who became a supervillain. In this case, it will be Thomas Wayne Jr’s version of Owlman.
Other villains set to appear are as follows: Maxie Zeus, Dollmaker, Killer Moth, Anarky, Two-Face, Blockbuster, Ventriloquist, Cornelius Stirk, Tweedledee and Tweedledum, Dunsan al Ghul, Mad Monk, Dala, Riddler, and Joker. Except the latter is more of a supporting character this time around and will even help our dynamic duo if it suits him. Alfred and Lucius Fox both reappear alongside Barbara Gordon who help Batman in his endeavors.
The Batmobile returns but isn’t the focal point of the entire game like in Arkham Knight. Seriously, you’d have to wonder how Batman ever got anything done without that annoying vehicle. This time the famous car will mostly appear in chase sequences where you outrun and bomb other vehicles with classic bat weaponry. However, unlike Arkham Knight, Arkham Insurgency will have boss battles. Dual play mode is present once again and there’s a bunch of new special moves and combos. In fact, there’s an entire new skill tree to Batman and Robin’s fight chemistry according to the alleged WB Games employee. The gameplay and combat itself has been expanded upon to make 1-on-1 fights interesting and will be more than just attacking/countering like the previous games. The timing of pushing buttons correctly will still exist within the framework.
Funny enough, this was all supposed to be announced on March 8th and the game itself is estimated to launch in November of this year. The leaker isn’t sure of those dates though, as Arkham Insurgency was originally going to be revealed towards the end of last year. Revolution may have also been the subtitle, but that was scrapped because “the idea behind the title is that it’s the story of Gotham’s underworld resisting Batman’s rule of order via the Court.” The WB employee mentioned he was dishing all this info out due to WB’s negative attitude towards their workers and the massive round of layoffs that are coming.
There were a handful of other tidbits which can be found bullet pointed below.
- Roger Craig Smith and Troy Baker are reprising their roles as Batman and the Joker respectively
- Blackgate and Arkham Asylum will not be accessible
- 100 Riddler trophies will return but are more about solving death traps and puzzle rooms over collectathons and are “superhard to find and obtain now.”
- Deathstroke will not make an appearance. (And that’s probably for the best since one of Batman’s most dangerous hand-to-hand foes was relegated to another car fight in Arkham Knight)
- Wayne Manor’s interior will be fully explorable
- Cutscenes are rendered separately away from the in-game world
- Arkham Asylum, Arkham Knight, Arkham Origins, Batman Begins, Batman v. Superman, New 52, Rebirth Batman, Year One Batman, The Dark Knight Returns Batman, Adam West Batman, Anime Batman, Batman: Noel, Classic Batman, First Appearance Batman, Knightfall Batman, Batman Beyond, Earth One, Earth Two, Flashpoint Batman, Red Son Batman, Green Lantern Batman, and more useable skins will be acquirable
- The game will take place in one night and amid lots of rain
- Cold, Cold Heart inspired DLC is planned where the star is Hugo Strange
- Will be as long as Arkham Knight
- Catwoman, Talia al Ghul, and Ra’s al Ghul will not make an appearance
Additionally, IGN France got a hold of a picture back in January that MAY provide some credit to this rumor.
And that’s all folks. For the time being, Reddit moderators have removed the initial posting so only the alleged WB employee’s comment responses are viewable. This is a lot of information in the leak and could possibly speak to how true the rumor is. Still, this is a rumor and needs to be treated as such. Time will tell if many WB Games’ employees are laid off and if March 8th will result in some type of Batman announcement. We’ll keep you guys updated as usual. Let us know if you think this rumor is true and what you’re potentially looking forward to about it. Or do you think this is a big load of hogwash from someone who has a grudge against the video game subsidiary?