Dex, the side-scrolling cyberpunk RPG from Dreadlocks Studio is out now for both the PlayStation 4 and the PS Vita, but for the more frugal gamers among us, they are offering a free demo right now. If you take the plunge and download the demo, you’ll play as a girl named Dex, who happens to be running from some shady corporate mercs across a dreary futuristic city called Harbor Prime. Dex will question her own reality as she battles vicious foes in arcade-style melee combat across the city and cyberspace. Thankfully, Dex is not in the fight alone. A trio of “hacktivists”, Raycast, Decker and the normally named Tony are ready and willing to lend a helping hand.
Check out the vast list of key features:
● Rare mix of realism and creative vision: Realistic action, mature storyline, and complex character interactions combined with hand-drawn characters, animations, locations, arcade-style melee combat, and an original conception of cyberspace.
● Multiple solutions to problems: Operate in cyberspace or everyday reality. Overcome obstacles using skills, weapons, or special equipment.
● Meaningful character progression choices: Will you be a straightforward brawler, a hacker or a silent assassin? Improve your character and gear to unlock game-changing upgrades that reinforce and customize your play style.
● Unique hacking mechanic: Transfer your consciousness to your avatar, overcome intrusion countermeasures, take action, and return back to your body in a fraction of a second to see the results: deactivated turrets, overloaded devices, enemies with crippled implants.
● Neo-cyberpunk storyline: Inspired by the cyberpunk novels of William Gibson and other classical cyberpunk authors – sprinkled with elements of augmented reality.
● Rich game world and mindful level design: Visit diverse locations in Harbor Prime – a futuristic city complete with luxurious skyscrapers, rundown shanty towns, and seedy red light districts. Take part in street brawls, steal corporate data, overcome environmental hazards, and (of course!) try to stay alive.
● Full voice acting: Interactive dialogue using hand-drawn sprite animations – fully voice-acted by professional voice-over artists.
Additionally, the full game is currently %50 off in the PlayStation store. At this time, that sale price is only good in the EU, but check back soon to see if that sale expands to the rest of the world. Either way, it is a cross-buy title, meaning if you shell out your hard-earned cash on either the PS4 version or the PS Vita version, you’ll get it on both systems for one low price. So that’s pretty cool.
What are you waiting for, download the free demo and let us know what you think of its cyberpunk goodness in the comments below.