VRFC was a very decent attempt at bringing the beautiful game to virtual reality for the first time, even if the controls were a little odd. If you’ve yet to do so, you can read my review for VRFC through here.
While VRFC was a decent game, it will no longer be VRFC after June 7th. The game isn’t being cancelled, mind you, but instead re-branded as Football Nation VR. The re-branding isn’t just in its name though, as Football Nation VR will be a massive update that fundamentally changes the way the game is played. What’s more is that the update will be completely free to those who already own VRFC.
Here’s a few of the salient details from Cherry Pop Games’ PlayStation Blog post:
- Penalties, should your game result in a draw, this was intentionally missed from our first Football VR title and was one of the top requested features and is a great addition to the game.
- Professional Rules, we have implemented an automated version of throw ins and corners and half time. Providing a more realistic experience without interrupting play
- Teams, with the introduction of the new 2018 tournament free content update you can play as your country and be in with a chance of winning the world’s first VR Football tournament! Each win awards the winning team 3 points, the team with the highest score at the end of the tournament wins the Football Nation 2018 Tournament.
- Solo play against the AI, by popular demand AI players now make up the numbers on the pitch, you can even take them on solo if you wish.
- Eighteen Players on the pitch, and still running at 90fps, in an effort to provide a more realistic tournament experience, Football Nation will offer 16 players on the pitch, (18 including keepers) so a couple of your players went rogue and got a red card!
- New Simple controls for an easier to pick up and play experience; with a lot of tweaking the and a huge learning curve to overcome from us we have fine tuned the controls to make a much easier to play experience, you no longer need to press a button to shoot, the main controls now are based around simple to pick up motions with the move controllers.
- Including all new head facing controls; this was a popular request by the PSVR community and actually really aids in the pick up and play ability of the game.
- Play together, Score incredible goals as a team, pass the ball and finish off heading into the back of the net. All-new passing controls give you more control over when the AI pass to you so you can plan your attack.
Along with the above features, Football Nation VR will also be hosting a brand new tournament to celebrate the update’s release, and it just so happens to tie in quite nicely with the 2018 World Cup. There’s more details on that over on the PlayStation Blog.
You know what this means, don’t you? Muggins here will have to re-review the game. Do you know how hard it is to play any physically demanding VR game in the middle of summer? Please feel sorry for me…
Chris has been writing about gaming news for far too long, and now he’s doing it even more. A true PlayStation know-it-all, Chris has owned just about every Sony console that ever existed. Trophies are like crack to this fella. (Bronze trophies, that is – he only has one Platinum.)