You’ve probably not heard a great deal about HopFrog’s open-world scrounge-fest Forager here on Pure PlayStation, and that’s understandable as the game has so far only been released on PC. However, that’s soon to change and us controller-wielding players will soon be able to go digging around in the dirt for ourselves when Forager releases this month.
HopFrog has announced that Forage will release on PS4 and Nintendo Switch this July 30th. But wait. There’s more. If you’re a luddite who shuns the internet (what’cha doin’ ‘ere then?) you’ll be pleased to know that the game is getting a physical retail release, too.
To make the physical version a little bit special, the game will come in a special package and include an exclusive poster as well as some stickers. Always good to get some extra stuff.
The physical release is set for September 10th in North America and September 13th in the UK and Europe. The price has been announced as $29.99 in North America, with the PR folks telling us that the UK/European pricing will around the local equivalent.
Forager is more than its name suggests. You don’t just dig around in the mud, searching for scraps and pennies. You can do a lot more in this 2D open-world adventure game. Here are some of the things you’re able to do in Forager:
- Become an Adventurer – With four distinct old-school dungeons to raid, players can face mighty bosses solo or with the help of NPCs, and seek out puzzles and hidden treasure chests filled with blueprints and goodies. Leveling up to learn new skills and abilities and unlocking new weapon recipes will help the intrepid adventurer.
- Become a Farmer – Players can cultivate vegetables, flowers, fruit, strange herbs and even rocks and minerals with the right tactics. Animals can become part of the family, too, as players pet, feed and take care of animals to win over their animals’ deepest loyalties through the Love System.
- Become a Gatherer – All sorts of resources, consumables and materials are available for players to forage, fish, mine, hunt, dig and farm across various biomes. The rarest discoveries can be turned in at the local Museum to showcase and earn special rewards.
- Become a Merchant – Forager is full of resources to exploit. Players can sell everything, buy more things, and then sell those things at a profit and manufacture an empire through trade and aggressive expansion.
- Become a Builder – All the land is the player’s foundation, ripe for building and growing a base out of nothing. Players can purchase land to design and decorate whatever base fits their preference, whether that be a serene farm, industrial hub, defensive fortress, or cozy cottage.
- Become… [fill in the blank] – The world of Forager is a playground for player’s choice. Anyone can set their own goals and work towards them.
Chris has been writing about gaming news for far too long, and now he’s doing it even more. A true PlayStation know-it-all, Chris has owned just about every Sony console that ever existed. Trophies are like crack to this fella. (Bronze trophies, that is – he only has one Platinum.)