UK indie developer Phigames and publisher Dear Villagers today revealed as part of PlayStation Show that their 3D sci-fi Metroidvania-like is heading to PlayStation5 to Xbox Series X. The game will also be coming to Steam as previously announced.
Recompile features intense combat, tight 3D platforming, super-powered abilities and environmental physics-based hacking mechanics – everything, right down to foes, can be hacked. World obstacles include intelligent enemies and intricate environmental circuitry, and both require the mastery of new abilities such as time dilation and flying with a jetpack.
The adventure is built around a branching narrative system unique to the Metroidvania genre. Unlike a typical Metroidvania, it uses a dynamic narrative system based on play style, meaning player decisions alter the world and can lead to any one of multiple endings.
The story explores everything from machine sentience to the nature of reality. The player is a rogue piece of semi-sentient code, trapped in The Mainframe – a sprawling digital wasteland dead-set on deleting trespassers.
- Metroidvania progression combined with a unique narrative branching system.
- A range of futuristic weapons and super-powered abilities, including a jetpack.
- Intense and intelligent combat
- Hack through environmental circuitry, logic gates & even enemies.
- Multiple endings depending on play style.
- Face colossal entities blocking your path to freedom
- Reactive soundtrack of blistering electro.
We sometimes link to online retail stores. If you buy something from our links, we may make a small commission which goes towards keeping the lights on and coffee in the pot.
Chris has been writing about gaming news for far too long, and now he’s doing it even more. A true PlayStation know-it-all, Chris has owned just about every Sony console that ever existed. Trophies are like crack to this fella. (Bronze trophies, that is – he only has one Platinum.)