Hopoo Games and Gearbox Publishing have announced today two new updates coming to Risk of Rain 2. The first, which is the most relevant to us PS4 players, is that the Hidden Realms update is out today on PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.
The new Hidden Realms update introduces the returning Survivor Acrid, new boss battles to test your skills in, alternative layouts system and a ton more loot for players to sniff out and collect. Because loot is life, right?
If you’ve not played Risk of Rain 2 before, you can play for free on Xbox One from March 26th through until March 29th as part of the Free Play Days. No shame in mopping up some achievements before you get to the trophies… If you’ve not got an Xbox One available to you, you can try Risk of Rain free on PC via Steam from April 2nd through until April 6th.
On PC, there’s another update coming which will most likely reach PS4 and other platforms at a later date. That update is the Artifacts 2.0, which introduces Artifacts along with a returning stage, new monsters, items, and Survivor-specific unlockables. The full details are down below:
Artifacts 2.0 Update:
- Artifacts: Artifacts make their Risk of Rain 2 debut. These treasures can be unlocked by completing in-game challenges and then equipped at the start of a run to dramatically modify aspects of the game, adding variety and challenge. Some are new, some are returning, and range from “oh fun” to “who hurt you?”
- New Stage, Monsters and Hidden Boss: Sky Meadow returns as a 5th stage, players will encounter new familiar monsters, and a new hidden boss awaits those clever enough to find them.
- Skill Variants: Commando, Huntress, Engineer and Acrid receive more unlockable skill variants to shock and awe in new ways.
- New Loot: New equipment, items, and a Lunar Item of dubious purpose enter the world for Survivors to discover.
- Engineer Skin: Engineer enthusiasts can earn a skin for their Survivor by completing an in-game challenge.
We sometimes link to online retail stores. If you buy something from our links, we may make a small commission which goes towards keeping the lights on and coffee in the pot.
Chris has been writing about gaming news for far too long, and now he’s doing it even more. A true PlayStation know-it-all, Chris has owned just about every Sony console that ever existed. Trophies are like crack to this fella. (Bronze trophies, that is – he only has one Platinum.)