Assemble Entertainment and WhisperGames have announced today that they’ll be releasing the zany sci-fi schump Squadron 51 on PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC later this year. And of course, the game will also be playable on PS5 and Xbox Series X|S.
The shoot-em-up is set in the 50s where aliens have arrived from outer space to bring a new era of advancement to the human race. Not all is at it seems, though, as the VEGA Corporation, run by Director Zarog, has other plans that include oppression, slavery, and generally being a not-so-good dude. Who would have guessed…
It’s not up to the brave pilots of Squadron 51 to rebel and fight back against the alien menace in a B-movie style adventure, complete with black-and-white aesthetics and live-action FMV sequences.
It sounds bonkers and looks great, so fingers crossed the eventual release lives up to the early hype.
“We’re huge fans of classic sci-fi horror and we jumped at the opportunity to co-publish Squadron 51 with our partner WhisperGames,” said Assemble Entertainment CEO Stefan Marcinek. “Squadron 51 has found a loving home among Assemble Entertainment’s other award-winning titles known for their charming eccentricity. Fans of all genres will appreciate this delightfully original SHMUP.”
Key Features Include:
- SHMUP Yeah!: Enjoy classic shoot-’em-up gameplay with four unique aircraft that can be customized with special weapons
- Cinematic Experience: Marvelous black-and-white aesthetics, live-action FMV sequences, and dubbed voices will tell the story of the battle between Squadron 51 and Director Zarog’s alien fleet
- 11 Ways to Save the World: Fight against enemy ships and bosses in 11 different environments – snowy mountains, forests, cityscapes, and more
- Rookie Pilots Supported: Whether you’re a beginner or a veteran flying ace, Squadron 51 supports dynamic difficulty that allows every pilot to enjoy the alien extermination
- Ducks Fly Together!: Fighting an alien horde is more fun with a squadmate! A second player can enter a level at any time — earn points with a co-op player and unlock together new special weapons and upgrades
We sometimes link to online retail stores. If you buy something from our links, we may make a small commission which goes towards keeping the lights on and coffee in the pot.
Chris has been writing about gaming news for far too long, and now he’s doing it even more. A true PlayStation know-it-all, Chris has owned just about every Sony console that ever existed. Trophies are like crack to this fella. (Bronze trophies, that is – he only has one Platinum.)